Wednesday, July 18, 2012

When CFA Turns LOTF

Hopefully this title has you going "What?" because if you have any idea of what I'm talking about, then    I think you deserve some sort of winning the abbreviation game prize which might include wine, coffee, and a dog-eared and highlighted copy of Lord of the Flies by William Golding, a book I taught almost every year of my 6 teaching.

Had I known that Chick-fil-a playscape offered the perfect display of young children turned loose on an "island" of their own, we'd have taken a field trip each of those years.

After a long car ride to check out some family pictures, we headed to Chick-fil-a which W calls an "inside park" for chicken and french fries. Someone fell asleep right at the exit, and I contemplated just going home to nap but decided to wake a boy quickly (and sleepily) agreeing to chicken and french fries upon opening his eyes.

W hit the playscape in full toddler force but soon found himself ready to eat, eat, and we did the chicken thing to fuel up to return to the playscape.

And now? Now the place was transformed. Big kids everywhere.

And not just any big kids.

A few girls walked in (all sophisticated with newspapers), and the boys began chanting, "Kill the girls!" while running up and down the playground.

"Kill the girls!" continued as one child performed whatever karate he thought he knew just inches from a poor girl's face. She wasn't phased though.  Another mom and I glanced at each other with the agreed "ok, it's about nap time" look in our eyes.

Seriously, is W going to become one of these boys? I know little boys will be little boys but really--"Kill the girls?"

Golding was onto something after all.






8 comments:

Nicole said...

That place is the worst. And it kind of stinks in there so I don't like going inside, but always, someone comes out crying.

Erin said...

Play places already make me nervous. We went to the children's museum the other night for family night and the few places designated for toddlers were being stampeded by 8-10 year olds. While it didn't phase J at all I had several heart attacks...where are these kids parents?!

Natalie said...

I can't handle that playground...I'm afraid Nolan won't come out alive!

tiffany | monuments and melodies said...

good lord! now I know why I've been nervous about the thought of taking M to one of those!

Angie said...

Gah! I always wanted one by us, but now kind of glad I dont have the worry........scary!!!

the workaholic momma said...

hahahah....my goodness - boys will be boys wont they?!?! W is going to be too sweet for that...I can't see that precious little face ever saying anything like that:)

courtney - larking. said...

We haven't gotten to experience this sort of thing yet - Lorelei is barely walking - but it terrifies me. Also, I hatehatehated LOTF so much when I had to read it in 9th grade. Poor Piggy! I still feel sorry for him.

Sarah @ Vol Family Life said...

Thos stupid play places terrify me! I am keeping Evie in the dark about those as long as I can!