It was love at first sight when I saw these darlings on Yumsugar. I emailed my husband immediately, knowing we would have to try these soon. He took me up on the offer.
After this weekend's burger exploration, I may never again return to the grilled disk of ground beef when making homemade burgers. What happens when you taste a grilled chipotle pork patty accented by the combination of tomatillos, muenster cheese, and avocados, and a touch of cilantro? Your tongue becomes a stage for the performance of a hot and juicy choreographed flavor tango. Warning: You might feel dirty. Recipe below is a flavor affair in your mouth.
Pork Chipotle Muenster Burgers (from Gourmet)
1 lb ground pork (not lean)
2 teaspoons minced chipotle in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
2 garlic cloves, forced through a garlic press
4 slices Muenster cheese
4 hamburger buns, toasted
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 large tomatillo (1/4 lb), husked and rinsed, then sliced
1/2 small avocado, sliced
1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
*Grillmaster husband--useful but not totally necessary
- Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium heat.
- Gently mix pork, chipotle, garlic, and a scant tsp salt until just combined. Form into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
- Oil grill rack, then grill patties, covered, 4 minutes.
- Flip patties and top with a slice of cheese. Grill, covered, until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Spread buns with mayonnaise and assemble burgers with tomatillo, avocado, and cilantro.
Not enough for you? Serve with a side of Asian slaw.