Monday, July 27, 2009

Snack Attack--Roasted Chickpeas



Sit tight and hold your skirt; we're taking a ride on the chickpea bandwagon! These little medallions of good health (otherwise known as garbanzo beans) seem to be popping up on food blogs everywhere particularly among the homemade hummus crowd.

I've yet to make my own hummus (that's "on the list"), but I did discovery my newest favorite snack to sneak into the movies: Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas. Stealing the flavors from a successful batch of spicy roasted nuts, I followed these cooking instructions and found my taste buds quite pleased, noting "Hmm, now that's something different. I think I like it." after I popped piece after piece of these crunchy snacks into my mouth.

Recipe (courtesy of Christie's Corner and Slashfood)
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Ingredients:
  • 1 (12 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil (more if needed)
  • 2 Tbsp real maple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp crushed dried rosemary
  • 1/4 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper depending on your spice preference
  • 2 tsp sea salt
(All spice quantities can be varied according to your tastes)
Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
  2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pat them dry on a couple of dish towels.
  3. Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and maple until combined. a
  4. Mix in spices. Toss in the chickpeas and continue to cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
  5. Spread the hot chickpeas on a rimmed cookie sheet or baking pan.
  6. Cook 30 to 35 minutes, checking them frequently in the last 10 minutes because they will burn quickly.
  7. The chickpeas are done when they are crunchy but not burned. (Note: If they aren't cooked enough they will have an unpleasant semi-firm texture. Return them to the oven until they CRUNCH, but keep an eye on them since they go from gold to garbage in minutes.)

No comments: