Monday, April 18, 2011

Sunday Sit-Downs

First, we sat down to this:
Yes, that's a helluva lotta ribs. Not my plate!

Joy of Cooking's Ribs + Zea Corn Grits = Must take a walk after dinner because you ate too much!

This meal was fantastic. Yes, there was a side salad, but let's be honest. Most of that was left in our bowls because we filled up on the real goods.

I've never been to Zea's but have heard fantastic things from my brother whose praise for these grits had me truly intrigued (our my word of the night by the way). Use this recipe straight from their site and then hop (in the spirit of Easter) over here for the ribs.

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups heavy cream
¼ stick butter
1 cup golden corn
1 cup yellow grits ( not instant)
Green onions for garnish
Instructions:
1. To grill corn, shuck off husk. Lightly butter corn cob and grill over charcoal or open fire until slightly blackened.
2. Cool corn and cut kernels from cob with sharp knife.
3. Bring chicken broth to a boil. Add heavy cream and return to boil.
4. Slowly whisk in the grits and then the corn.
5. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 5 to 6 minutes.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions.


Then we sat down for the Game of Thrones premier on HBO which I was only a bit hesitant about only because Cowboy told me I wasn't going to like it as it's a bit Lord of the Rings-ish. Ok, noted.

But my problem with Lord of the Rings is how stinking long it is. I informed him that I can watch this series in delicious hour chunks instead of a 3+ movie.

I'm not particularly adept at movie/book reviews, most probably because I lose myself in them and let my brain go to mush and just get absorbed instead of thinking too much. I'm a terrible book club contributor, and it's "work" for me to teach English sometimes.  If you want something more put-together, try this review courtesy of Cowboy. 

The show itself hooked me right away (although literally quite gory to begin) with its drama, mystery (who are these White Walkers and what is the Wall?), and load of characters. While a little confusing to follow, I kept my mouth shut (you're welcome Cowboy), and Episode 1 was clear enough in its exposition to intrigue (yes again!) with a number and variety of characters and plots.

If you get truly upset about mistreatment of female characters, this isn't the show for you. It's a men run all, do all, make all, take all kind of show, but I believe well done in its execution as it draws sympathy for the women stuck in a time and place obviously different than our own. (And it's fiction. Come on.)

But there are cute puppies... :)


Are any of you watching?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

That food looks awesome. I have been wanting to try a grits recipe for a long time. Need to get moving on that. Still trying to plan an Easter menu.

Cajun Cowgirl said...

I'm about to run. Do try these grits. Creamy deliciousness! Would be great with some shrimp too.

BTW--how old is Baby Z?