Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Mom Moment -- Baby Food Recipe That Works/ed

So I thought today that instead of giving The Sheriff some tiny cubes of cheese to munch on, we'd make some homemade mac n' cheese.  I've done it before with orzo pasta which he likes, but then remembered my favorite new baby site to peruse, and after realizing I didn't have all of the ingredients for her cheesy pasta sauce, I stumbled upon a recipe that I figured I would make, he wouldn't eat, and I would be a bit disappointed. BUT, my friends, it worked. At least today. I am 95% sure that I will try it again in a few days or tomorrow even and he won't enjoy it.  We'll see.

But for those of you looking for new ideas to impress the babies/kids/heck, yourself, let me introduce you to....

Cheesy Pasta Stars
(also called Cheesy Pasta Orzo around here, but I just bought some stars today)

Ingredients
**Let me start by saying that I don't typically measure in grams so my measurements were a bit off, and the dish ended up quite cheesy. (Hence he ate it perhaps!) But I've listed hers below
**I also used one carrot and one tomato, so I cut the butter amount as well.
**And, as you've read, used orzo instead of stars

25 g(4 oz) carrots
30g (1 oz) butter
3 medium tomatoes (ripe, skinned, de-seeded, and chopped)
50g grated Cheddar cheese
2 tbsp pasta stars cooked until soft

Directions
Cook pasta according the instructions on packet. Do drain, BUT be sure to reserve 1/2 c to 1 c pasta water.
Steam the carrots for 15-20 minutes until tender. Warm butter in a separate pan, add chopped tomatoes and saute until mushy. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. This is where the pasta water came in for me. I used it to help melt the cheese in. I've also done this making regular mac for the kiddo because I haven't ventured into using milk yet.
Mash cooked carrots together with 3 tablespoons of the liquid from the bottom of the steamer and blend together with the tomato and cheese mixture. Finally stir in cooked pasta.

I don't have a pic. Sorry, Cowboy, BUT he really did love it. I gave him tastes right out of the cooled pan and he couldn't get enough!




No comments: