Monday, May 9, 2011

Tuesdays At the Table - I Cooked On Mother's Day

And it sure was worth it! I love Tuesdays at the Table because it gives me the opportunity to try (and then write about) new recipes. This week's adventure--PIZZA! And if you told me that I'd love a pizza without the heaven sent red sauce that typically adorns it, I'd call you on it. But this one turned out delicious!

I will have to put up one of my "tried and true" gems soon, but for now, whip up this Springtime Pizza from Yum Sugar, and grab a beer or a glass of your favorite white wine and grab a slice, and change the way you feel about non-marinara pizza forever! (Ok, that's a bit of hyperbole for your Tuesday morning/afternoon/evening, but really, it was yummy!)


 And let me just tell you a few things before you carry on.  Read on...


A) I bought prosciutto instead of pancetta. I do this all of the time, mistake one for the other. I don't think it made that much of a difference.
B)HOWEVER, I did use more than 1/4 cup of prosciutto, which I believe led it to be pretty salty. I think it would have been fine but I did also add salt as directed by the recipe. We like salt around here (shocking I know!) so it was fine, but if watching your NaCl, go easy on it.
C) I used a regular Pillsbury pizza dough (by the biscuit section) and it worked out fine. It did cook much faster than the container calls for because the oven is set higher for this recipe.  In fact, I believe it took less than 10 minutes. Just watch your pie. 

Springtime Pizza

From Katie Sweeney
INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup diced pancetta (about 1/2-inch slice)
Olive oil, for drizzling
1 store-bought pizza dough
1 1/4 heaping cups grated Monterey jack
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
6 asparagus stalks, cut in half lengthwise, then chopped into 1-inch pieces (Use more if you'd like!)
2 green onions, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan
10 basil leaves, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
Red pepper flakes, optional for garnish
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat the oven to 500°F. Oil a large cookie sheet and place in the oven.
  2. Heat a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until the fat is rendered and the pancetta is browned and starting to crisp, about 7 minutes. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
  3. Meanwhile, roll out the pizza dough to be a large square that will fit inside the cookie sheet.
  4. With a pot holder, remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Working quickly, place the rolled-out pizza dough on top of the pan. It will start to sizzle; this is OK.
  5. Sprinkle the Monterey jack and mozzarella evenly over the pizza dough. Top with the asparagus, green onions, pancetta, and garlic. Season the pizza with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top of everything.
  6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the dough is crispy, the cheese is melted and starting to brown, and the vegetables are cooked through.
  7. Transfer to a cutting board or serving platter. Sprinkle with the basil, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes, if using. Enjoy immediately.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Cole said...

That looks sooo yummy!!