Friday, September 16, 2011

A Recipe A Day -- For Those of You Getting This Thing Called Fall and a Guest Post

Do I win the award for longest blog post title ever? But really, I'm so jealous of the you jeans and scarf wearing mommas/bloggers out there! You get to wear jeans, pick apples, AND start yummy fall/winter menus. Be sure to add this spicy gem to your weekly menu. And even better--make it in the Crock Pot.  You can thank me later. 

You can also find me over at Natalie's blog home today while she is enjoying some final days of summer at the beach (lucky girl!) And we'll all be waiting to see how many teeth Nolan comes home with! After you jump on over to your local grocery for today's recipe ingredients, go check out how I keep my once a teacher-now-SAHM-self sane.


Spicy White Chicken Chili via Kholer Created (Yep, I said spicy!) 
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
2 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
3 (15 ounce) cans white beans
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
DIRECTIONS


1. Brown the garlic with oil in a sauce pan and throw in the chicken chopped in slices or pieces. Cook until done and set aside.
2. Add all of the rest of the ingredients with the cooked chicken/garlic into the crock pot and cook on low for at least 5 hours (6-8 hours preferred).
3. Slowly stir in the cheese until melted. Serve warm.

*The dish is SPICY which Cowboy loves, BUT I doctor it up a little to downplay the spice for my more sensitive palate.  If you want spicy, don't use the full can of jalapenos. If you want to take it further, omit the can completely.


*I've also added crunched tortilla chips while the chili was cooking to thicken it. AND we've found that eating the leftovers of this dish just might be better than the first time around!

3 comments:

Meg O. said...

Yum! I've always wanted to make white chili!

the workaholic momma said...

First - loved your post over at Natalies - thanks so much for sharing that great info!!!

And secondly...this looks divine...I'm totally going to have to make this...chili is my favorite fall/winter food but I've never made this type!!! You are making me all sorts of productive with all of this good info:)

Natalie said...

Thanks for filling in for me and doing such a great guest post!