Wednesday, November 3, 2010

God, Jesus, and... Fido?

For some unknown reason I decided to teach CCE at Church this year. Like I don't have enough on my plate right? So every Wednesday evening I grab my teacher's manual and whatever crafty project I've managed to throw together and head out while Cowboy takes care of the Shrimp. It's nice to get out for a bit; some nights I only wish that it were to grab some vino with my girls instead. I guess my liver thanks me.

The first graders that I teach crack me up. First of all, everyone wants to answer every question. It doesn't matter if they know it or not. Hands will fly into the air the minute the question inflection in my voice goes off. If there is no way they know the answer, the response is always, "Ummmm, I forgot." If they do think they've got the answer, it usually comes down to "God" or maybe "Jesus."

I found out something else that interesting about first graders; they love pets. It can be their own or those of a friend or even one of a random neighbor. When we do prayer requests, one's pet who is "old and can't run very fast" or "who can't hear" is of utmost concern.  Maybe it's just because I'm not a pet person or maybe I hadn't been exposed to this room in a first grader's brain, but it definitely made me smile. I love their innocence and someone has to pray for our furry friends right?

No comments: