Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bites for Baby -- Cauliflower and Carrot Couscous

And some alliteration to boot!

The Sheriff is only 10 months, but it seems like the transition to "table food" is just that--a transition.
He can put things into his mouth, even tiny pieces, but I guess it's a texture thing with him because he will attempt chewing/gumming and often spit out whatever he's eating, so we try again often with me putting the partially chewed item back in his mouth or on the tray for him to grab. The second attempt is often successful.

Back to the recipe. So I tried this couscous out. He had trouble with the first bite from the spoon because it isn't as mushy/consolidated? (for lack of better terms) as baby food. I mixed it with a bit of his corn casserole (baby food of course) and he ate quite a bit. I'm guessing I can do less and less baby food and more and more couscous as we practice and soon the texture will be just fine.

Anyway, I thought it was delicious so wanted to share for the adults and petites out there looking for some good eats.



Cauliflower and Carrot Couscous (from Feeding Baby)
Ingredients
4 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup cauliflower florets finely chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 c couscous
Sea salt (optional. For baby, not the option. For me, well, is it even a question?)

Directions
In a medium saucepan with a steamer, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add carrots and cauliflower and steam for 10-12 minutes until veggies are tender. (I think I went longer to make sure they were super soft.) Drain and set aside.

In a small pan, heat broth over medium-high heat.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in couscous, stirring to coat well with the butter, and cook for about 1 minute. Add the broth, cover, and cook for about 4 minutes on low heat until the broth is absorbed. Stir in the carrots and cauliflower. Season with salt.

Serve warm or at room tempt. Freeze leftovers that won't be eaten next day.

Enjoy!
Perhaps with peppercorn pork loin!

2 comments:

Lyryn said...

Oh teach me teach me! My little Ian is 11 months and he refuses to EAT anything solid! WHAT THE HECK!

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Soooo glad to hear that from you as I feel so behind with this. I have huge mom guilt that my kid isn't shoveling handfuls of broccoli florets into his mouth for fun as it seems so many other kids are!

Let's explore this together! :)
He does love cheese--shredded, tiny cubed, smashed between bread slices and cut into tiny squares, melted onto a whole wheat tortilla again cut into tiny squares.

Other things he'll eat if I put them into his mouth (tiny bits of pineapple, dried apricot, green beans).
What about yours?