Friday, July 8, 2011

Rubber Duck First Birthday -- This and That

Thanks again to Pinterest for being a hoarding ground for all my duck ideas! Go check out my Splish Splash board if you are looking for more ideas. There are a ton of great things out there. I just didn't have time or energy (or want to spend the time, energy, or money!) for just a first bday.

Here's a bit more recap. I don't have great pics of everything (and I'm waiting for you to send yours Shelly!) but I'll try to explain as best as I can. 

First things first. The invitation. Check out what the great folks over at Lily Pad Boutique helped to put together for us. The wording isn't mine as I combined several invites I found online, and I love them because they sweetly combine ducks and bubbles without looking too "old." He's only one once! 


Buy as many rubber ducks as you want! They were everywhere this summer so I'd pick some up in dollar sections at almost every grocery/Target/Walmart outing. Then my mom called with BOGO 10 pack or something crazy like that. Yes Mom! Get the ducks! (And I know. I still owe you for those!) 

You'll need them for decorating. Be creative! I didn't know how I was going to "hide" the big brown mirror/candle wall fixture, but knew that this wall would be the backdrop for my dessert table. With enough ducks, anything is possible right? Alternating ducks and blue marbles worked out perfect. 

I also used plenty of ducks for this classic game. My intentions? Write numbers on the bottom of the ducks, kids pull up a duck, and then they receive a prize with matching number. I hit up the dollar stores/sections of stores for some great stuff! However, this was hard because there were not only kids of a variety of ages, but boys and girls sometimes need different prizes. Ladybug socks was a prize, and we can't have any of Nicole's boys sporting those any time soon! 



Wyatt's nanny (Godmother not caregiver. LA peeps you get this!) helped out to give appropriate prizes, and I think everyone went home happy!



My nephew collecting his prize

 If Sheriff has a "boy," (as in BFF for the male gender) it's Liam here with his parents (and his Momma is one of my Mommy BFFs!)



Another activity that I'm really glad I did was "Decorate a Duck." I found these at amazon, and yes, it was a one-year-old's party, but there were plenty of older kids and, ahem adults, who got in on this action. 
 See John decorate:


See John's ducks:



More to come on the yummy treats I made, and of course those I wanted to make as well! 


6 comments:

Josie said...

Looks like Wyatt's first brithday was a hit! Happy Birthday, Wyatt!

the workaholic momma said...

I LOVE all of the ideas and invites are adorable!!! Looks like everyone had a great time:)

erica said...

cutest little party ever. I love the rubber ducky theme.

xo

Natalie said...

Awww what a cute birthday theme! You have the cutest family. I am still trying to decide what to do for my little's one first birthday. I'm your newest follower! :)

Rachel Paxton said...

I am SUPER DUPER impressed! And (I'm a little embarrassed to admit) super duper jealous of American stores when it comes for shopping for food, favors, and decor for a little one's birthday party... Great job, mom!

Erin+Josh said...

So cute!! Great party! I'll have to tap into your creativity in the future!